Monday, January 16, 2012

I guess I should start with an update about how our Christmas Party went...it was wonderful!  Seriously, I think it is one of the best Christmas memories I have.  The best part was having everyone over who was helping the night before.  Let me tell you they peeled more apples and potatoes than I have ever seen peeled!  The guys who came out to help had the best attitudes.  I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.  Seeing a bunch of guys (who barley knew how to peel potatoes when we started) attempt to bake an apple pie was the highlight of my Christmas.  There are some very loyal soldiers out there too, because when they heard that one of the apple pies was baked by Mr. Rob they all had to have a slice!  
Yep those bags are full of potatoes, apples, along with other ingredients for the party...and this is only half of what we had!

This lovely lady was a life saver!  She hemmed all of my table cloths in about 15 minutes!  I am sure going to miss Korea when we have to leave
One of the centerpieces, those pine branches and pine cones are real.  That's right not only did the guys have to peel potatoes, I sent them off into the forest to collect greenery for the tables.  The room smelled divine!
 
The tables are all set up and ready!  We had 3 rows of tables like this and a few couches, when it came time to eat every chair was full!      
I ended up baking over 150 cookies!  Some went to the mailroom, and the rest are all packaged to hand out to the soldiers. 
I love this picture, after weeks of planning, cooking, making decorations, it all came together.  To see the guys serving and giving their time to their soldiers meant so much.  I think this is our new Christmas tradition.  From now on, we are going to try and give back in one way or another.  Not only is it more fun than simply opening a Christmas present and then forgetting about it in a couple weeks, but other people benefit as well.  I also want Asher to learn to put others before himself.  It would make me happier than anyone could ever know for him to tell me how he wants to help others, instead of bringing me a list of presents he wants.



No comments:

Post a Comment