Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Bastrop Wildfires

I have been following the news lately about the wildfires in Bastrop and it breaks my heart.  Thankfully my parents sold their house last year, so they were not hurt, but all of our neighbors have lost everything.
It is one of those times when looking back I can see that God had a wonderful plan for my family, and I am so thankful for that.  My parents were able to sell their house and find another place they love, I'm not sure that they had ever planned on moving exactly when they did, but now I am so glad they followed God's plan and not their own.
The wildfire started a street away from where we lived, I'm not sure if they would have been able to get all of our dogs out in time.  Even if they would have there is no way everything in the house could have been saved.  I can not imagine how people who still live there must feel, to me it is still unreal that the house I grew up in is gone.  It hasn't sunk in that the rose garden I built when I was little has been burnt to ashes.  Or that the trees I climbed aren't there.  But those things aren't what really matter in life.  What matters is family and loved ones.  So while I am so sad for everything that has been lost, I am so happy everyone is safe!
Thanksgiving in Bastrop
I feel like God has put me in a position to really reach out and help those who lost their houses, unfortunately since I am on the other side of the world it is not as easy as driving to Bastrop with donations.  I will continue to pray for everyone, but I wish more than anything that there was something else I could do to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment