Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Jal Mok-Uht-Son-Ni-Da

I did it!  I managed to eat lunch and dinner with chopsticks and only dropped a minimal amount of food on the table...and my lap!  Now I have to talk about what I had for dinner.  It was all very good!  I especially love the KimChi (the director of the school makes it herself), but there are things that I only have to guess what they are...  When I eat dinner, I eat with the ladies who cook the food, the director and her husband, none of them speak English well, so no one can explain what something is...unless I just want the Korean name of the food.  This may be a good thing because today I was eating meat, and there were these olive shaped, brown-grayish colored pieces on the plate...NOT olives, I think maybe a liver from some animal?????  Honestly I have no idea!  It wasn't bad, just different and I think I liked it...I'm not sure I am brave enough to ask what it was.  There was also a pudding looking dish in the middle of the table...NOT pudding, it was egg!  I do not think I will be able to learn to like the egg dish.  I finished the day in the café below my apartment enjoying green tea ice cream.
Today was a much better day.  I think I have completely adjusted to the time change and I am getting to know the other teachers at the school better, or at least we are more comfortable around each other!  They are teaching me a little Korean each day, today I learned Jal Mok-Uht-Son-Ni-Da, this is thank you...but it is the thank you you say after you finish eating and you say it to the person who made the meal.  Talk about a phrase that doesn't translate easily!  I also learned Jal-ga which is an informal goodbye.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment